Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Updates

Spring Training is underway in Arizona....with rain!

-Chris Capuano says he's ready to go and his arm is healthy. People should stop talking about him...including myself. It's not going to happen. If it does, I will punch myself in the eye.
With Mark Mulder set to retire, he could possibly be a final reserve if all hell broke loose in the rotation. Or, who's to say he couldn't compete with Mitch Stetter in the bull pen? Regardless, it's a minor league contract so it's a low risk try-out they are giving to Capuano as a courtesy.

-Despite being a fan of Ken Macha's hiring last year....I have since done an about-face. He coaches with no emotion and I don't really see him connecting with the younger players. This of course is what I liked about him initially. The young players need an enforcer, not a friend (Ned Yost). At any rate, Macha is toying with the ideas of having the pitcher bat 8th again (again, Ned Yost) and possibly having an all-lefty bench. While you're at it, how about having an all-lefty rotation....oh wait, you almost do. I suppose he's thinking of having Gomez bat 9th. By doing this allows a speedy base runner (with a horrible OPS) a chance of getting on base for Rickie Weeks, who pretty much has lead-off locked up (right?).

-David Riske, you know....the guy who's making 4MM to do jack sh*t....well, he's the only player with restrictions right now. He is targeting Opening Day still. I just don't see it. Thankfully, the Crew is pretty squared away in the bullpen. That could change after the first week of the regular season, should Suppan suck it up.

-Rickie Weeks and Casey McGehee are on the "Caution List". Weeks apparently has some dental issues. I'm calling BS on that one. We'll see. I'm going to pissed off when Rickie Weeks goes down with an injury again and Felipe Lopez is tearing it up in St. Louis (where he will probably land with).

-Mat Gamel reported to camp early this year. Thank God. When I read that he showed up late to Spring Training last year, I knew this guy was a bone head. The verdict is out on this guy and what he can do. He reminds of Spicoli from Fast Times (movie)....only with brown hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment