Monday, June 16, 2008

What if?

This from the New York Post yesterday. Upon reading the it the first time I thought they had gone mad. But upon further review, it left me thinking 'what if'?

What if the Brewers were to trade their star first baseman this year? Either before the trade deadline or in the off season. It makes me wonder....
We do have Matt LaPorta and Mat Gamel waiting patiently in the minors, as stated by the story. By doing so would most surely allow us to tie up Ben Sheets in a long term contract for the years to come. I don't know about Ryan Braun playing first base, but Matt LaPorta was drafted last summer from Miami where he played first base. That's his bread and butter. Mat Gammel predominantly plays third, which is well needed in Milwaukee right now. I doubt Milwaukee would part ways with Prince Fielder considering the fact that he has already hit 50 HR's in a season, the youngest and fastest to do so in the Majors. However, he's sitting on 10 this year and is average is only .285. Yes ONLY. He should be belting .300 at the very least. His weight is always a concern as well. This hard for me to say this, because I'm a fellow big guy.....but he is allegedly a vegetarian....Yet I don't see any change in his physique.

There are a lot, and I mean A LOT of blogs and newspapers out there that have their respective teams targeting both of the Mat(t)'s (LaPorta and Gamel). What they don't realize is that we probably won't trade them as they will potentionally be brought up to replace/fill in for JJ and Rickie. Furthermore, Mat Gamel will be our third baseman once we unload Billy Hall. If anything, it gives added pressure to JJ, Billy, and Rickie to get their asses in gear. For Billy, it may be too late. I don't know of another team who is a serious contender for the pennant, who would give this many chances to JJ and Rickie. They have had their shot and just aren't performing to the clubs standards. Perhaps a change of scenery is in store for them. I don't know, but Billy and either Rickie or JJ should be traded away to make room for the rising Stars in Huntsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment