Thursday, March 5, 2009

Injuries, Problems...and more

Ken Macha released a pretty-detailed injury report on a number of Brewer players/prospects.

I was surprised to find Angel Salome on it. I was not aware that his injury was that significant and has kept him out this long. This is crappy timing because Mike Rivera is sidelined with a strained hammy.

I am starting to get a wee-bit concerned with the number of injuries. To date, the Crew is with out (most notably) Braden Looper, Eric Gagne, Tony Gwynn Jr, Mat Gamel, Angel Salome, and now Mike Rivera...just off the tip of my brain. I realize that this is only spring ball and the regular season is a month away.... Looper and Gange's injury seem the most serious. Although Braden could be back as early (fingers-crossed) as next week.

One thing to be cheery eyed about this season is Ryan Braun. He went yard today for Team USA in their win over the Phillies. Arguably one of the best young hitters in baseball. Oh, and he's Jewish.

Yesterday the Crew had the day off, only one of three total this spring training. They face off with Team Australia today. Seth McClung got the start and pitched 3 innings, giving up 4 hits, 1 homerun and two runs. Tim Dillar(d) and Trevor Hoffman pitched 1 inning each as well. Last I saw, the Crew were up 9 runs to 5 in the 8th inning.

Brewers' popularity on the rise! Bizjournal reported that the Crew were the most successful professional sports team in the state, and ranked 7th out of all 30 teams in the MLB. That's like totally awesome. I was popular once...in high school. Or at least I thought I was. Now I'm overweight.....

Yesterday I wrote a letter to the President of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Rob Zerjaz, asking him to have the Timber Rattlers visit a couple of stadiums in Wisconsin this summer. Similar to the concept of the game being held at Miller Park....why not have them play a game in Wausau and Madison. That way they have the feeling of a "State" team, worthy of being called "Wisconsin". The WISCONSIN Woodchucks (Northwoods League) do something similar by playing a game down in Stevens Point.....He has not responded to me yet, at press time. Keep in mind, both Wausau and Madison have ballparks that could certainly hold such an event. Granted, the one in Wausau is pretty dated and undersized...but it's one game. Why not try to grow the fan base? I'm not asking them to play at the softball diamonds near Jon Thiel's house in Reeseville for crying out loud.

As expected, Cleveland Indians' top prospect Matt LaPorta has some hefty expectations to live up to.

In some good injury news....Alex Rodriguez may be out until mid June! Not to sound mean...oh hell, with him I could care less....he is having a cyst removed from his waste. Makes me wonder if there is more to the story. This is some pretty bad news for the Yankees. I would expect to see them making a move to bring someone on to fill in.

No comments:

Post a Comment