Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Two Cents On Favre


It's not worth getting all worked over this. I knew this would happen a couple of years ago. How else would Favre be able to walk away from the game he loved? There comes a time when you have to be told to leave. As is the case for Brett Favre, according to him.

The team stuck by Brett Favre for a lot of downers in his long career. But also a lot of uppers. He led us to the Super Bowl twice and even won one! Regardless, that doesn't give him or anyone else the right to play the cards he has been playing the past 3 years. Will he or won't he retire? Wisconsin has had to deal with that for 3 years!

So when he retired back in March the Packers moved on and concentrated their efforts on Rodgers and drafting 2 QB's. TWO! Now Favre wants to play. Well, it's too late. Perhaps if he had wanted to come back before the draft it would've been a wee bit more tasteful. I mean, to waste two draft picks on one position all because Favre retired is a HUGE investment. That could literally effect the team for years to come. Look at who we missed out on because we had to cover our tracks?

Is Rodgers the answer? I think so. I think that he will be the best QB in the NFC North. Even if Favre goes to Minnesota. I am that confident that this division has no clear leader for a QB. Jackson, Kitna, and Rex are laughable. Rodgers is the only one who is unproven. Yes. But the small amounts of time he has come in it's been a pretty decent go. Yes he has to stay injury free...who doesn't? Isn't that the goal of Favre every year? C'mon.

It's funny how the Vikings are picked to win the NFC North. Even though the only true, worthy of being mentioned upgrade, is Jared Allen. Adrian Peterson is as "injury prone" as they come! This kid can't stay healthy. Those who actually watch college football would know that. Look at last year when he missed one or two games. The Vikings are a joke and the media is hook and sinker...or whatever the saying is. The Vikings are average at best with Brett Favre. So, Mr Favre, go on over and cross the St. Croix and play with the rival. See how well you play in that crap hole they call a dome. Jared Allen is a nice addition...don't get me wrong. But one guy doesn't win the division nor does some punk from lonely Alabama State either.

So...here's to you Favre (my coffee mug in the air). I wish you the best and will continue to hang my SI covers of you on my basement wall. As I look ahead, you are apart of the past. I have a spot on my wall waiting to hang Rodgers' cover. Laugh now everybody, if you will. But I'm a betting man. Usually, I have been pretty good on bets that don't involve Tecmo Bowl.

4 comments:

  1. Drafting 2 qb's has been something the Packers have always done since Wolf. Not a HUGE investment. Didn't Rodgers get hurt by taking a knee? And wasn't it last year where Favre was an o.t. away from the super bowl? So drink your coffee and do what Rodgers says, shut your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Packer fan who is drinking the kool-aid.

    Jon, drafting two QB's that were that high in the draft? You're fucking nuts. They have never drafted a QB as high as the second round. Yes, they have drafted shit qb's in the past....in the late rounds. Never a number 2...not for a hell of a long time. So you're wrong there chief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, normally they pick in rds 4-6, however Ted takes the best available? I think if Favre didn't retire in March, they still would have. But what does that say about what they think of Rodgers? I would rather have them draft a qb in the 2nd then a punter in the 3rd. Anyways, i am drinking the kool-aid (Oh,Yeah!) and loving it. I just hope july 24th the shareholders are drinking it as well. That would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the first time you admitted you were wrong (sort of).
    Baby steps Jon, Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete