Monday, July 28, 2008

Soup Sandwich


When I was in basic training for the Army National Guard back in '99 down in Fort Knox my drill sergeant would always yell at me. If I had my boots not shined or my hair not buzzed, he would yell at me. His words were, "Olson, you fat pile of shi*t, you look like soup sandwich". I never knew what the hell that meant, only that I didn't look like he wanted me to look.
As is the case with Jeff Suppan. He went from being a NLCS ALL STAR to our 4th man in the rotation, possibly even the fifth now. His fifth inning was down right awful yesterday. And Ned Yost just let him to dry out there. He went from being Soup down to being Soup Sandwich.

Soup (5-7) gave up 8 freakin' runs and struck out a lowly 3 batters. His counterpart, newly acquired Randy Wolf looked equally as rough. Only his manager didn't keep him in there to hang himself like ol' Ned Yost did. Bob Uecker cried afoul during his broadcast when the fans booed Soup as he exited the game, "Come on folks..it's not that bad". Well Bob, we just got hammered out of our own park to the last place Houston Astros. We just sold out 7 consecutive home games. So yes, we have every right to boo at the park and at home. Love you Uecker, but c'mon now.

-Ryan Braun belted his 28th home run of the season. He is crawling at the top and should capture first here relatively soon.

-Rickie Weeks had a triple. However he also had a costly error that opened the flood gates. Had he successfully fielded the grounder he could have turned a double play. Thus saving Suppan from a disastrous fifth inning. He screwed the pooch though.

-Tom Haudricourt ripped Yost for leaving Soup in for so long. I believe it's a 50/50 split. Soup certainly should be able to pitch out a jam in the fifth with minimal damage. Hell, you can also toss Weeks in there for a 1/3 of the blame with his horrid error. My point is this, you can't really blame just one guy. That was a clear cut example of a team blunder...which was led by Ned. He He Ha. "He was one pitch away" BS is what really irks me.

-Brewers v Cubs series starts tonight at Miller Park. CC Sabathia takes to the mound against Ted Lilly. This series will end up in a split ( and Bud Selig will be thoroughly excited). Right now he is probably sitting at his desk with his pants around his ankles. This is what the MLB needs. A National League resurgence that can take over the spotlight of the Yankee/BoSox series this past weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Who cares that about these Brewers you speak of, you should have more coverage of the Brett Favre saga. I can't find any articles about it anywhere. Not in the paper, not on the internets and certainly not on ESPN. Who cares that Brewers are starting one of the biggest series in the history of the club, Brett Favre is thinking about reconsidering his decision to take a little time to maybe reverse thought on whether to play or not. I'll probably watch the games tonight, but I hope they break in with any important Brett Favre updates, in fact they should just have a ticker like ESPN does so I know that I can get my Brett Favre fill every 2.6 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to take the head of both Mike's and butt them together...like you see in the cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have to worry about those yahoos anymore. Our Fox Sports Radio affiliate over here picked up Dan Patrick from 8 to 11 and he is a little better, though I get sick of his in studio cronies talking all the time. Mike and Mike let a little bit of success go to their heads and now they think we care about their stupid bets and competitions. Just talk about sports damnit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The First Team On Fox is by far the best sports show. Just nipping The Herd. He's on Fox Sports Radio/XM Satellite and his show is based out of DC. He used to work in Milwaukee and still appears on the Bob & Brian Show (102.9 "The Hog" Milw.).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You like Cowherd? I can't stand that smug a$$hole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's when I'm in a car with out XM.

    ReplyDelete