Wednesday, August 13, 2008

NCAA Football Predications / Why I Gamble


BCS Champs:
Oklahoma



Top 10...er....12
___________

1.Oklahoma
(Too good of a QB in Sam Bradford, tough as nails)

2.Texas Tech
(Crabtree & Co. will get to title game)

3.West Virginia
(Big East will prevail, finally, this year)

4. Georgia
(a season in the SEC is too tough to endure)

5.The Ohio State
(Big Ten Champs will falter early at USC)

6. Missouri
(Chase to the Heisman Trophy: Daniels will win)

7. Florida
(Road games: Volunteers, Bulldogs, and Razorbacks? Forget it)

8. Clemson
(Lite road schedule/Bowden's big year)

9. Arizona State
(Pac-10's Best Team...bar none)

10 Texas
(Mac Brown was given a freebie last year)

11. USC
(No Dirty Sanchez? No Top 10)

12. BYU
(Mountain West Leader)

Just not there yet: Wisconsin, Auburn, Tennessee, Kansas, Notre Dame, and Alabama

Keep in mind people...it's hard to mention all conferences and their teams. This is off of memory.

BIG TEN
_________________

1. OSU
2. Penn State
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan
5. Purdue
6. Illinois
7. Indiana
8. Michigan State
9. Iowa
10. Northwestern
11. Minnesota (not yet Brewster)

Chase Daniels will win the Heisman Trophy

I love Wisconsin. But let's me realistic. The quarterback is the position is a big Question Mark.
Plus, the defensive secondary is too light to compete with the down field threat of OSU.
---------

In 2006 I picked Florida to win it all, earning me 600.00! In 2007, not as good. Let's compare.
I had:

1. USC (3)
2. Mich (18)
3. Florida (13)
4. LSU (1)
5. Louisville (NR)
6. Oregon (23)
7. Wisconsin (24)
8. Texas (10)
9. Hawaii (19)
10. Cal or UCLA (pick'em)

Ranked by me in August of 2007. In (x) is actual ranking, see below as well.

What really happened....

1. LSU
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Mizzou
5. OSU
6. WVU
7. Kansas
8. Oklahoma
9. V. Tech
*10. Boston College
*1o. Texas

*tied

______________

Now keep in mind people; I did not bet a single dime last year. This year is different. My wife is allotting me $200.00 to bet on college football. YEA. Last year, it's a good thing I didn't. No one...and I mean NO ONE could've have predicted that out come.
Generally I bet on games in the lesser conferences...like the MAC (Thursdays usually), Big East (Thursdays usually), WAC (over/under), and ACC (spread). Seldom do I parlay or do teasers. I simply bet on the spread or the over/under. Typically, I have had come out ahead by more than 15%.

I like College Football A LOT.

5 comments:

  1. Your picking 2 teams from the Big 12 to make the BCS title game? Has this ever happened before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two teams...same conference...hell, even the same division (south). I will check the books to see if that's happened before. It hasn't happened in the BCS era. Prior to that teams were pre-slotted in to bowl games and their respective conferences: Rose Bowl- Pac10 vs Big10. So, I'm going to say no. It hasn't happened.

    Keep in mind though. Michigan vs OSU in the bcs title game, two years ago, was an arugement that went on for weeks until Florida snuck in there.
    Both OU and TT have soft schedules this year.

    Oklahoma plays 3 weak non-conference games. Nonetheless, their regular season schedule should be enough (strenght-wise) to get them in.
    OU plays 7 home games this year and only 5 on the road, likewise for TT. OU's toughest games are at home versus Texas, Texas Tech, and Kansas.

    Meanwhile, Texas Tech's toughest games are at OU and Texas. This would offset the two teams (OU/TT), no matter who wins...if both teams win all of the remainder of their games after they play each other, they could still make it in.
    TT plays an equally, if not lesser schedule with non-conference games against Nevada, UMass, and June's SMU squad.

    These two top 15 teams (USA Poll/ESPN Power Ranks) do play a couple of tough conference games, most noteably eachother, but after that they each face Kansas and Texas...their toughest opponents.

    This was not a mistake...I just forgot to go in to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I have the BCS Gods working against me in this one. Two teams from the same conference is unlikely. But the SEC is going to beat the bejesus out of each other. Same goes with Big Ten and ACC. Big 12 is due, Oklahoma will surely make it to the title game.

    So I will put 25.o0 on the Sooners if anyone would like to take me on. Who's ever team finishes the highest at the end of the bowls...takes the cash. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't see the BCS leaving out the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 10, hell even the ACC to put 2 Big 12 teams in. I think it would be a publicity nightmare for them, especially since the Big 12 has been labeled one of the weaker power conferences lateley. Not saying it is, just how the media portrays it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know, as well as I, that the BCS is in need of a big event this year. They are getting attacked by fans, coaches, and players. The more controversy the better, according to the BCS.

    The SEC is just too fricken tough. You know that the top teams are going to have 2 losses (Georgia & LSU) in the regular season...not to mention the two will face each other in the SEC Title game. Strength of schedule is huge, but you can't let a team in who has 2 losses over a team from the Big 12 who has 0 or 1 loss...can you?

    I don't know. I'm off my rocker with two teams from the Big East...but I just feel that the BCS is going be cluster-f*ck...once again this year. I was going to stick WVU vs OU in the title game, but WVU has a tough as conference and non-conference schedule...with out Rich Rod.

    ReplyDelete